Friday, December 18, 2009

Art and the artist's perspective

Possible title: Art and the artist's perspective; instructive views of photographers in action

Hi again Heather,

Indeed, would there be a market...?
That's the big question we need to research before we spend too much time.

I'm one of those who does not mind spending time on such an artistic pursuit
simply for the legacy aspect. All of my writing and artistic photography falls
into that category.
I also wouldn't be disappointed otherwise, my expectations are for a
good product that is artistic and interesting.

That said, I think that on this project I want to break that mold, and go for a
product that is marketable.

I have virtually no experience with marketing, but would be glad to learn.
Are you okay with the fact that I'd probably rely on your experience in that venue.

However, I do want to do research.
For one thing, for this to be marketable, perhaps it needs more than just art:
The idea of the 'art and the artist' should be not only a view that is fun,
but perhaps it could be instructive. So we could capture the aspects
of art, artist and instruction. There could be parts that are simply views
with poetry and/or creative wring. And there could be other parts which
instruct the user on rudimentary instruction on how to do creative
photography. An amalgamation of these aspects could make the project
more marketable.

What do you think? And I am always open for ideas/brainstorming.
I'm not a purist in any respect, so ideas are meant to laid out to
investigate possibilities. I'm not adverse to throwing out my ideas if
they are not going to put the project forward. But hopefully, together
we generate enough good/great ideas to generate a product.

Thanks.
Doug
___________

Doug,

Real quick, before I have to run... I like the way you're thinking!

To produce a book, for posterity alone, is quite a nice idea... but I'm a rather aggressive/competitive person and would be little satisfied with anything I produced simply claiming home to a dusty corner of my library. I certainly am not "puffed" enough to expect us to end up on the NYT Best-sellers list... but it would be marvelous to actually make a profit, enlighten readers and possibly teach one or two people. I like good deeds... so teaching/educating will always be a passion of mine. To combine our photography with our poetry with some insightful light instruction on technique with delicate humor with our passion for sharing beauty and optimistic thought... PERFECTION!

One important feature we'd need to agree on, very early... what type of images? Nature, Cityscapes, still life's, flowers, animals, bodyscapes, portraits, art (photomontages), etc. I, personally, do not think it should contain imagery of one style or subject... rather a developing collection of eye-candy for the reader... changing and morphing, one into the next... accompanied either by poetry or inner thoughts or instruction.

I believe we are on the same page, if I understood your email, below. I only wish there was a way we could incorporate music into the book.... I need to think on this more.


Heather
_____

A possible introduction:

Art is cannot be viewed as an idle luxury, but rather
a generous stylized effervescent splendor,
a sound and fury signifying vivacious sumptuousness,
a slice of life destined to expand throughout the sinews of our very soul,
without which there is no vigor for learning,
nor yearning for the breath and depth of that certain something other,
that untouched, yet unachieved goal that lingers, sometimes just
beyond our grasp, and with that extra bit of effort,
we can obtain that undiscovered consummate essence of life.

And we can show you how...

Doug

No comments:

Post a Comment