Saturday, December 12, 2009

Pittsburgh Opera and the book idea

Good afternoon Doug

As for the book... yes, time is always an issue. Besides running with a local EMT team, I also conduct explosive searches (with K9's) for a firm located in California. I find myself on the road a good portion of the year. And I've recently been propositioned by DHS/TSA to go to work for them (thus the contemplative move to a new city). However, right now I'm in "down time", needing some time to get my body and brain back to normal after the last job we did. I will probably go back out on the road in late January or early February... so until then I have time to work on enjoyable and happy projects ... such as the book, should you so wish. And yes, the key to any successful venture (especially one where one hopes to make capital) is excellent marketing. I still, in my spare time, design sites and promotional projects (such as calendars and print ads) for a few wonderful clients, as well as photography & videography work for special events. I find myself, depending on what industry the client is targeting, having to learn some very strange facts about marketing to unique demographics. I've never promoted anything from the "arts" arena, so would have to do some research to discover the best way to promote a book such as the one we've discussed. First we'd need to decide who our target audience would be (age, gender, socioeconomic status, geographical location, etc). Then, after we decide who our market is, the rest becomes easier to decipher. As I'm in "down time" for the next couple months, I'd like to suggest we take advantage of that and possibly discuss all the possibilities of this book. Once I start back into my travel cycle, I'm pretty tough to nail to one spot, and I don't spend much time thinking about anything but the job.

I hope you have a great day! I look forward to discussing this more.
Heather

Doug Bauman wrote:

Good morning Heather

I'm sorry to say that I don't have any personal experiences with the Pittsburgh Opera, and don't know much about them.
If you like, I can try to research this for you.

How does one get to know someone else. I'd say that conversation is a big plus.
We've been doing that. We also both know Bob. You can find out about me from him,
but I wager you'd find out more simply by asking me, and reading my poety, viewing my flickr photostream,
and well, of course we should meet at Phipps or wherever.

I'm glad your interested. I am serious, and my only reservation is time, but I'm in no hurry.
I'm glad you like the idea, I thought it was a good one, we just have to pull it off and make it good.
I'm really pleased to hear of all your experience with publishing. I know that marketing is also
one of the most important parts of a project.

Well, got to run to work, let's keep talking.
Thanks.
Doug

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 12:20 AM, Heather Orton <heather@88dragon.com> wrote:
Morning, Doug!

I have not seen Flickr in a few days, to see if you've posted your "play" with the template I emailed you. I do so hope you had some time to tinker with it. :-)

I know you mentioned to me your association with the Pittsburgh Symphony, and I expressed my interest. However, my true classical passion has always been with opera. Would you have any personal experiences with the Pittsburgh Opera? Is their troupe any good? I used to go to the opera quite often as a young adult, and was asked to give it up with my first marriage. I've never found the time to re-establish my relationship with opera... until just recently. My husband has never been to a good opera, and I thought The Marriage of Figaro would be a good one to introduce him into the entertainment value of opera (I hope). At least he will recognize Mozart! But if the PITT Opera isn't very good, then I'd rather wait and take him someplace else. Could you share any experiences you may have had with the PITT Opera?

PITT is one of the cities that my new employer has asked me to consider moving to and working from... so I'm trying to get my husband more interested in what PITT has to offer (to see if he'd enjoy the area).

Also, I had some time yesterday to think more about your book idea. I admit to not knowing you very well, so not sure of your intent. But I'll go out on a limb and say that if you truly were serious, I'd love to assist or participate. I did go through my portfolio and was surprised to find about a dozen photos taken of me while was shooting. 12 is certainly not very many... but it is a start! I actually have more than 12, but some were taken by Mr. Vishneski and thus not usable. Before moving to PA, from San Diego five years ago, I owned my own publishing company... creating (from concept to finished product) over 50 industry magazines, 14 weekly planners, countless calendars for clients, and even designed and produced a pictorial promotional book for one of my more affluent clients. So, I have and know how to use all the proper software... LOL! I think it would be a fun project to collaborate on.

I will be out of my office the next two days, filling in at the local FD for a couple of the EMT's who are out with something or other, and I have a class I'm teaching tomorrow night. I do look forward to hearing your thoughts on the PITT Opera though... and more about your book. And again, I hope you do play with the template! :-)

Stay warm!
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment