Saturday, December 12, 2009

See nature with a greater sense of introspection

Gateway Arch
St. Louis, Missouri
As a friend recently said:
Nature composes the most beautiful pictures. It only needs the eye to discover!

Photographers often see nature with a greater sense of introspection than others. We are forced to see things perhaps with a different eye, or a thought toward perceiving a more interesting perspective than we would otherwise. It is a different kind of force, a force of nature which is innate in us all, but only brought out in picture takers through conscience attention to the final product - the image we will produce, what it will look like. I find myself seeing in my mind's eye the final image that I have made, even before I have made it. This process of contemplating what 'might be' is an interective and self correcting feedback mechanism which permits us to constantly monitor a scene for distinctly unique patterns and aspects that we believe will be interesting to ourselves and others. We look for aspects of light, color and patterns, perhaps trying to step outside the box. The gateway arch has been seen countless times as an arch, from a far away view, but to me a more remarkable angle deserving of accolades of creative regard would be looking up from below. Choosing not only the subject, but angle, light, color and countless other aspects permits the maker of artistic compositions a freedom of degrees, releases the shackles of conformity, and sends us on a heart-searching, observation into the future of possibilities. Often, a mere glimpse of the perfect scene leads me to exclaim 'That's it, the perfect composition, just waiting for me to grasp and set in stone as my next masterpiece; I already see in on the internet, in a book or on a wall'

--large--

No comments:

Post a Comment